Head of Landscape Services
Rangers Lodge, Hyde Park
This is an incredible opportunity for a motivated and experienced landscaping professional to help protect the green spaces of one of the world’s most iconic cities.
Created in March 2017, The Royal Parks is a charity that supports and manages 5,000 acres of historic parkland across London. Millions of Londoners and tourists visit our beautiful sites, which offer unparalleled opportunities for enjoyment, exploration and healthy living in the heart of the capital.
We look after eight of London’s largest open spaces; Hyde Park, Green Park, Richmond, Greenwich, St James’s, Bushy and The Regent’s Park, and Kensington Gardens. We also manage other important open spaces in the capital including Brompton Cemetery, Victoria Tower Gardens, Canning Green and Poet’s Corner.
We’re eager to enhance our levels of expertise as an organisation and grow the scale and scope of works that we are undertaking across our parks. As such, we are looking for a Head of Landscape Services to join us in this entirely new role and support the conservation of our amazing landscapes.
- Salary of £50,000 - £57,000 per annum DOE
- Pension scheme
- 26 days’ holiday per annum plus public holidays
- Work from Rangers Lodge, a beautiful building based in the heart of Hyde Park
Our parks are rich with history. Hyde Park was used by King Henry VIII to entertain ambassadors and dignitaries. In World War I, Regent’s Park, Kensington Gardens and Greenwich Park were home to allotments to alleviate the food crisis. The Green Park was once home to ice houses, so King Charles II could give his guests cold drinks in the summer.
These are just a few of the countless stories that our parks hold. It is vital that they are protected so Londoners and tourists alike can enjoy them, learn about their astounding past and walk where kings and queens once stood.
You will have the chance to influence how we preserve these stunning sites for decades to come and play an integral part in ensuring our parks are not only protected, but enhanced and treasured, as time goes on.
As the Head of Landscape Services, you will lead the Landscape Services team in safeguarding the landscape of London’s Royal Parks, ensuring they can be enjoyed by future generations.
In this important role, you will:
- Lead on the development of an overarching landscape strategy for the next 20 – 25 years
- Oversee the strategic development of landscape projects and programmes
- Provide expert advice and landscape design services to colleagues during the planning, development and delivery of activities, programmes and projects
- Support project funding bids
- Manage landscape consultants and budgets
To be considered as the Head of Landscape Services, you will need:
- To be a chartered member of the Landscape Institute with significant post-chartership experience
- Significant experience of working at a senior level in an environmental and/or landscape management organisation
- Demonstrable experience of leading teams or functions through change to achieve overall goals
- Experience of thinking and working strategically, including strategy development and implementation
- Extensive knowledge of the design and management of historic landscapes
- Strong financial management and control skills, including the ability to plan within budget
- A postgraduate qualification in landscape architecture and/or management or equivalent
Other organisations may call this role Head of Landscapes, Senior Landscaping Manager, Senior Landscape Programme Manager, or Head of Park Landscapes.
The closing date for applications is the 3rd February 2020. Interviews will take place the week commencing the 10th February 2020.
Webrecruit and The Royal Parks are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you are seeking your next challenge as our Head of Landscapes, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Head of Landscape Services