Retail Customer Assistant
Western General Hospital, Edinburgh
£14,983 per annum
35 hours per week, working across Monday – Sunday
Royal Voluntary Service hospital cafés, shops and trolleys are part of the fabric of the NHS and a real asset in their own right.
We are different from commercial operators, and rightly so. Our employee and volunteer teams offer comfort, reassurance and a friendly ear to patients and visitors and act as a valuable link with helpful community services.
Our shops and cafés are staffed by volunteers and employees and provide an outstanding range of healthy food choices.
Our customers love the fact that the money they spend with us pays for volunteer action in hospitals and the community.
Would you like to make a positive difference to people’s lives?
We are looking for talented, passionate people with the right skills and experience to work with us to deliver our mission - to keep people happy, healthy and connected in our communities and hospitals.
What you’ll be doing
Working alongside a friendly team of employees and volunteers, as a Retail Customer Assistant, you will provide outstanding customer service at our shop and café in Western General Hospital. In this busy role, you will be responsible for:
- Providing a friendly and helpful service to customers
- Serving high-quality hot and cold food and beverages and helping our customers to make product choices
- Assisting with the day-to-day co-ordination and support of volunteers
- Operating the till and undertaking cash reconciliation
- Assisting with stock deliveries and replenishing stock
- Ensuring the shop and café are well presented and meet all necessary checks
- Working as an active team member to support colleagues in all tasks
What you will need
Working in a hospital requires a special kind of customer service. Your ability to communicate with a variety of people in a friendly and cheerful way will make a real difference to someone’s day.
To be considered as a Retail Customer Assistant, you will need experience of working in retail or in a customer-facing role, have a ‘can-do’ attitude and be confident in maximising sales opportunities.
Experience of using of EPOS systems would be desirable, as would experience of general administrative processes and the ability to use standard IT Microsoft and internet systems to a basic level.
Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to pre-employment checks. This may include a criminal records check.
Why work for Royal Voluntary Service
We’re proud to be in the top 25 not-for-profit organisations to work for in the UK, based on ratings from Indeed. As a valued employee at Royal Voluntary Service:
- We will train and support you in your role
- We offer an employee assistance helpline
- We are happy to talk about flexible working
- We offer a great pension scheme
- You will receive 25 days’ annual leave plus paid statutory Bank Holidays
How to apply
To apply for this position of Retail Customer Assistant, please apply via the button shown.
Interview date: 11th March 2020
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early should sufficient applications be received.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Other organisations may call this role Retail Assistant, Shop Assistant, Café Assistant, Store Assistant, Sales Assistant, Retail Sales Assistant, Retail Sales Advisor, Sales Advisor, or Customer Service Assistant.
Retail Customer Assistant