Data Scientist / Mid-Level / Senior Data Scientist
Based in Southampton, Stockholm or Geneva
Permanent or 12 month contract
Flowminder is a non-profit foundation that specialises in the analysis of anonymised mobile phone data, satellite imagery, and household survey data for humanitarian and international development purposes.
Our mission is to enable decision makers to access the data they need to transform the lives of vulnerable people, at scale. We are striving to create a world in which decisions that can improve the lives of vulnerable people are based on the most appropriate evidence. We partner with decision makers and key stakeholders in national and international data systems to produce high-quality data, strengthen capacity, develop new methods and tools, and leverage novel data sources to improve the lives of vulnerable populations.
Flowminder was the first organisation to respond to a large-scale infectious disease epidemic (the Haiti cholera outbreak in 2010) using mobile operator data, and Flowminder’s researchers were the first to show that mobile operator data can predict the spatial spread of an infectious disease.
As we are marshalling our resources to support government and public decision-making during the COVID-19 pandemic, we are looking for Data Scientists with varying levels of experience to join our team and contribute to the wide range of humanitarian and development projects we are delivering. While the current situation is imposing home-working, we are looking for candidates that will join one of our offices based in Southampton (UK), Geneva (Switzerland) and Stockholm (Sweden).
As a Data Scientist, you will develop new methods for processing large datasets in the development and humanitarian sectors.
You’ll engage with end users to understand their needs and identify which insights will be most relevant. You’ll carry out data analysis, which will include:
- Data cleaning
- Data integration
- Exploratory and standard analysis
- Interpret results from exploratory and standard analyses
- Assess the limitations of the data
- Protect data subjects’ privacy, including acting in accordance with GDPR
You will also be responsible for reporting findings:
- Choose dissemination methods that are appropriate for users’ technical capacity
- Ensure results and conclusions are communicated clearly and can be understood by a non-technical audience
- Clearly communicate any limitations of the data
- Take into account ethical issues around how data will be used
- Disseminate work via presentations, workshops and conferences
Experienced candidates will have the chance to lead small projects or act as project director for certain initiatives. For more information, select the apply button shown to view the Job Description.
To join us as a Data Scientist, the below is essential:
- Demonstrable experience in the development and application of data analysis and/or machine learning to large-scale datasets
- Experience of writing well-documented, maintainable code
- A PhD in statistics, maths, physics, ecology, sociology or geography (or demonstrable equivalent research experience)
- Knowledge and experience in data analysis: processing and analysis of spatial data and time series, statistics, probability theory and combinatorial analysis
- Strong ability to reason under uncertainty: combine quantitative analytical thinking with contextual knowledge and use critical thinking to extract and interpret information from data
- A genuine interest in, and the willingness to further understand, the mission and operations of our organisation
- A genuine desire to see the outputs of your work improve the lives of vulnerable populations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to work well independently and as part of a team
Highly desirable criteria:
- At least two years’ experience of Python data analysis libraries, such as Pandas, NumPy and Bokeh/Matplotlib, or MATLAB, R or equivalent
- Experience with mobility or flow data, spatial data and spatial models, survey data (geo-located questionnaires), and data integration
- Previous experience in large-scale data mining or artificial intelligence
- Experience with a Big Data ecosystem - algorithms, tools and technologies
- Experience in applying quantitative methods to support governments and humanitarian actors’ decision making
- Experience with geographic information systems (GIS)
- Experience of working on real-world problems in resource poor settings (low and lower middle-income countries)
- A good understanding of low- and middle-income contexts
Other organisations may call this role Mobile Data Scientist, Mid-Level Data Scientist, Senior Data Scientist, Lead Data Scientist, Data Analyst, Insights Analyst, or Mobile Data Analyst, Project design Analyst.
- Salary of up to £57,900 per annum DOE
- Initially home working during lockdown (ultimately office based with some home working)
- Support projects that will improve the lives of the world’s most vulnerable
- Collaborate with a talented, passionate team
- Take on an exciting role where your work will make a real difference
So, if you are seeking your next challenge as a Data Scientist / Mid-Level / Senior Data Scientist, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Data Scientist / Mid-Level / Senior Data Scientist