Safety & Health Advisor
Job Ref: 4106
Job Title: Safety & Health Advisor
Job type: Permanent Full Time
Location: Culham, Oxfordshire
Salary: £32,386 - £45,385 + excellent benefits including outstanding pension scheme
Closing date: 28th July 2020
Are you an experienced Health and Safety Advisor with a NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent?
Do you have demonstrable safety and health knowledge and industry experience working in engineering, construction or research and development sectors?
The UK Atomic Energy Authority have an excellent opportunity for a Health and Safety Advisor to join the Assurance team, responsible for supporting and advising staff and contractors on safety and health related matters for all work undertaken by the UKAEA.
As the Safety and Health Advisor, you can make a real contribution to health and safety policies on site as well as driving continuous improvement in the support and advice provided to staff and contractors on H&S related matters.
Key accountabilities/responsibilities include:
- Providing Safety & Health advice to staff and contractors working for the UKAEA
- Support the on-going H&S monitoring programme including the production of appropriate metrics and reports
- To undertake H&S related projects in support of the UKAEA`s continuous improvement programme
- To support the management of our incident reporting process
- To deliver written and oral reports to various levels of the organisation
- To act as a technical expert to deliver training as required
At UKAEA we strive to make everyone feel welcome and fully supported. Our Ambassadors are actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the Organisation to help make our Organisation an employer of choice. UKAEA has a graded career structure and our mentoring scheme will enable you to reach your true potential.
The UKAEA hosts and manages the JET nuclear fusion energy experiment on behalf of the EU and is also home to the UK`s MAST-U fusion energy experiment. UKAEA also works with industry and other third parties to develop new technologies currently in Remote Handling and Materials research. Following recent UK funding, two new centres of excellence in tritium fuel handling and component testing and validation are being built. The culture at UKAEA promotes research, innovation and leading-edge technological excellence, whilst investing in people.
For full details on the role, UKAEA and our benefits please download the application pack.
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Graduate IOSH, NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent
- Qualified to degree level or professional qualifications in an engineering/science discipline or demonstrable equivalent experience
- Ability to clearly communicate both verbally and through the production of written reports
- Excellent interpersonal skills to enable effective working relationships to be developed with people in a wide range of roles and levels of responsibility
- Good knowledge of ISO 45001:2017
- Experience of construction and the application of CDM
- Demonstrable experience in light industrial or engineering industries
- Lead auditor trained
- Experience of development and implementation of S&H policy and procedure within an organisation
Special requirements: This role may require accessing radiological and beryllium controlled areas.
Selection Methods and Notes:
- As part of the selection process you may be expected to complete work-based simulation exercises and a personality profile either online or onsite
- Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received
- Please note, UKAEA do not pay travel expenses for interviews
- The UK Atomic Energy Authority actively promotes equality and values diversity in our workforce. We operate a number of flexible working arrangements (such as part-time working/job share/home working). Flexible working may be available with this role
- Please note, all employees working at the UK Atomic Energy Authority will be required to complete an online Disclosure Certificate application as part of their clearance - The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks will show the details of all current criminal convictions (convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or will confirm that there are no such convictions
APPLICATIONS ARE WELCOME FROM LESS EXPERIENCED CANDIDATES SEEKING CAREER DEVELOPMENT WHO FULFIL THE ESSENTIAL CRITERIA FOR THE ROLE ATTRACTING A SALARY RANGE OF £32,386 - £34,824 PA OR £43,208 - £45,385 PER ANNUM.
Safety & Health Advisor