Are you an experienced statistician in the clinical or educational field able to be the lead and expert in your field? Do you have specialised expertise in RCT and QED methodologies? If so, you could be our Senior Statistician.
At NFER, our mission is to improve outcomes for future generations everywhere and to support positive change across education systems. We do this by creating and sharing research evidence and insights on education policy and practice, informing policymakers and other key decision makers, and strengthening practice in the classroom.
The Centre for Statistics is looking for a Senior Statistician who can help maintain, and develop, the Centre’s impact both internally and externally. With a growing portfolio of work coming from NFER’s Trials Unit, the Centre for Statistics requires an experienced statistician to help further develop our capacity to design and run RCT and QED methodologies.
We are looking for a talented and enthusiastic statistician, who is keen to further develop their statistical knowledge within an organisation at the centre of educational research in the UK. We are interested in applications from individuals who are capable of carrying out high-quality complex statistical analyses, as part of different research teams across the NFER, and who can be involved in a number of statistical and strategic areas. In addition to a large variety of evaluation work, the successful candidate would also be involved with an exciting portfolio of test development projects and have access to an internal research fund. They would report directly to the Head of Statistics.
- Salary of £42,000 - £48,000 depending on experience, with generous pension scheme
- 42 days per year comprising 30 days’ holiday, four additional discretionary days, in addition to bank holidays
- Positive working culture that promotes a good work/life balance
- Free parking
- Excellent support for professional development from a network of fellow economists/quantitative researchers
- Be well qualified in statistics or economics
- Experience of leading work at a senior level
- An experienced statistician in the clinical or educational field
- An excellent understanding of individual and cluster-randomised designs, consent issues, data collection, the randomisation process and how the design of an evaluation relates to analysis
- An understanding of quasi-experimental designs in an educational setting and how this differs from the processes for an RCT
- Excellent writing skills in the drafting of proposals, evaluation protocols, statistical analysis plans and reports
- Be an experienced user of statistical software, particularly R and SPSS
- Can lead projects and other statisticians within project teams
- Have a practical and well-organised approach to the analysis of data
- Be able to work quickly and accurately to meet deadlines
- An ability to draft statistical components of proposals and contribute to income generation activities
- An ability to communicate analysis findings to a variety of audiences
- An ability to work flexibly as a member of a team with an interest in education or general social science research
- An ability to contribute to Foundation-wide strategic activities
- A PhD with a high statistical component
NFER is a not-for-profit organisation and an equal opportunities employer, welcoming applications from all sections of the community.
This role is open for Tier 2 sponsorship.
The closing date for applications is midnight on Sunday 30th August 2020.
So, if you are looking for a fresh, new challenge as a Senior Statistician, apply via the button shown. This vacancy has been placed by Webrecruit on behalf of NFER.