The National Forest Company (NFC) is leading the creation of a restored forest landscape in the heart of the Midlands, an area left scarred by years of coal mining and heavy industry.
Since 1995, we’ve been creating a forest on a scale not seen in England for 1,000 years and so far we’ve planted 9 million trees across 200 square miles across parts of Leicestershire, Derbyshire and Staffordshire. And we aren’t finished yet…
This is a crucial moment in the development of both the National Forest and the National Forest Company, with a new 25-Year Vision for the National Forest, a new Corporate Plan for the Company, and a renewed focus and purpose in light of the urgency of climate change. 200 square miles, three decades, 9 million trees planted, and forest cover having increased from 6% to 22% - we have a track record of making things happen.
The National Forest is one of the boldest environmentally led regeneration initiatives in the country, and we are now looking to expand our team to put us on track to meet 33% forest cover by 2045. We believe trees are the catalyst for change, enabling nature, society, and the economy to thrive by working together. We believe a positive future is possible - and we can show it’s happening, here and now.
We’re now looking for a Woodland Advisor to join us on a full-time, permanent basis working 37 hours per week. Part-time working can also be considered.
- Salary of £29,179 - £32,160
- Civil Service Pension Scheme
- 30 days’ annual leave and 10.5 days public and privilege holidays
- Annual performance awards
- Flexible working - to allow for variations in your hours, or working from home, where this is compatible with business needs.
- Cycle to Work Scheme - typical savings on a bike can be up to 42%
- Employee Assistance Programme - a free and confidential 24/7 telephone advice service available to staff
- Discounts for gym membership
- Time off in lieu
- Reimbursement for mileage
This is an excellent opportunity for a woodland management professional with a passion for environmentalism to join our pioneering company.
You will have the chance to play a key role in one of the boldest regeneration projects in the world, maximising the environmental, social, and economic impact of this ground-breaking programme.
So, if you want to create tangible, long-lasting environmental benefits for generations to come as well as a huge array of stunning woodland, we want to hear from you.
As a Woodland Advisor, you will take charge of a portfolio of environmental initiatives, focusing on woodland management and the woodland economy.
You’ll adopt a proactive approach to maximise opportunities for land-use change and management. Developing strong working relationships with partners, forestry organisations, contractors, farmers, and other landowners, you will ensure the successful delivery of our incentive programmes.
Additionally, you will work with the wider team to maximise environmental, social and economic outcomes in the 25 year Vision for the National Forest.
Additionally, you will:
- Support the growth of existing and new woodland economy businesses
- Provide a range of advice to woodland economy businesses and woodland owners
- Develop collaborative approaches towards woodland management and control of pests and diseases across land ownerships
- Record and monitor forest creation, management and economy performance
- Undertake tree inspections on NFC sites
- Promote and support the development of forestry skills and apprenticeships
- Support the development of NFC apprentices and volunteers
To be considered as a Woodland Advisor, you will need:
- Experience of supporting creation or management of woodlands to deliver environmental, economic, and social objectives
- Practical knowledge of sustainable forestry management practices, silviculture and the UK Forestry Standard
- Understanding of biodiversity, landscape, access, recreation, and community involvement in relation to woodland creation and management
- Good project management skills
- Good budget management skills
- Proficient IT skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team
- Commitment to equal opportunities
- Commitment to environmental issues
- A degree in forestry, business management or a related subject
Other organisations may call this role Forestry Advisor, Forestry Development Advisor, Forestry Consultant, or Land Consultant.
The closing date for this role is 19th July 2022.
Webrecruit and The National Forest Company are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you’re ready for this exciting opportunity as a Woodland Advisor, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency