Senior Telecoms Analyst (Maternity Cover)
Based from our London, Edinburgh, Cardiff and/or Belfast offices
The Market Intelligence Team is responsible for providing first-class analysis of UK communications market developments in order to provide an evidence base for Ofcom’s policy and regulatory work. Within the Market Intelligence Team, the Telecoms Team is responsible for the programmatic collection of data from telecoms providers. We lead the delivery of a number of Ofcom research programmes and publications, including the Pricing Trends, Comparing Service Quality, Home Broadband Performance, Mobile Matters and Telecoms Data Updates, as well as contributing to other publications, such as the Communications Market Report.
Purpose of the Role
We are seeking a Senior (associate-level) Telecoms Analyst to join us on a maternity cover contract for 12 months. The role involves sourcing and interpreting market data to ensure that relevant insights and trends are understood and used to inform a wide variety of Ofcom projects and reports and will involve working collaboratively with other Ofcom teams and external stakeholders to help deliver Ofcom’s objectives.
Requirements of the Role
- Sourcing, analysing and interpreting telecoms industry data and communicating these findings both internally and externally.
- Taking responsibility for ensuring that the data we receive from telecoms providers is accurate and robust.
- Undertaking a critical review of this data, working with internal and external stakeholders to ensure that they accurately reflect the market landscape.
- Presenting analysis in a concise, clear and easily accessible way using graphs, charts, well-written text and presentations.
- Engaging with a wide range of Ofcom projects and reports, including contributing to MI publications such as the Comparing Service Quality report, Mobile Matters report, Pricing Trends report, Communications Market report and Telecoms Data Updates.
- Leading Ofcom’s engagement with the UK Regulators Network (UKRN) on its Performance Scorecard.
- Collaborating with other teams across Ofcom, including Consumer Policy (on projects related to pricing or quality of service), Competition Policy (on projects related to market sizing) and the Technology Team (on projects requiring technical research methodologies such as those measuring broadband or mobile performance).
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Demonstrate Ofcom’s values of excellence, agility, empowerment and collaboration.
- Highly numerate, with an eye for detail and the patience and commitment to ensure work is accurate.
- An interest in, and evidence of, expertise in telecoms industry research and analysis.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint to manage complicated data sets, analyse results and present data in clear, concise and creative ways.
- Good attention to detail and the patience and commitment to ensure work is accurate.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to explain complex results and issues clearly in writing and orally.
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to manage and prioritise a range of work, projects and ad hoc requests.
- Most likely to be educated to degree level in a subject with a significant quantitative content, or to have equivalent experience.
- Makes timely, reasoned decisions. Undertakes constructive insightful and timely review of others’ analysis, modelling and evidence.
- Adapts and develops analytical approaches to tackle new problems. Ensures analysis is informed by strategic priorities and input from other Ofcom Groups; puts work in a wider context, understanding the broader picture.
- Works independently, providing professional advice and guiding the work of others in the specialism.
- Understands relevant disciplines sufficiently to ask pertinent questions, challenge input and define tasks.
- Represents Ofcom and explains Ofcom’s position. Anticipates possible challenges and objections and prepares thoroughly.
- Provides clear and concise briefings for senior Ofcom colleagues and external stakeholders, drawing out the key strategic implications of complex analysis.
- Leads delivery of work to expectations, including time, quality and cost, taking full ownership of progress. Prioritises own work on the basis of strategic importance.
This role is available on a full or part-time basis.
To apply for the role of Senior Telecoms Analyst (Maternity Cover), please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Other organisations may call this role Lead Telecoms Analyst, Senior Telecommunications Analyst, Senior Industry Analyst, Lead Data Analyst, or Senior Analyst.
Senior Telecoms Analyst (Maternity Cover)